Sunday, March 15, 2009

Week 2 of training continued

I had a cold this week, so missed my Friday morning workout.  The good news is that I revived my Forerunner GPS and took it for three laps around Greenlake (9miles) today.  Unfortunately the lap database was full, so it lost part of the run, but I did the last three miles at 10:08, 10:04 and 10:15, which is significantly faster than what I had been running. 
The big conundrum is that I ran the whole run between 10 min miles all the way up to about 11:15.  The 4-hour marathon schedule says to do it between 10:40-11:10.  So I'm good there.  But my heart rate was in the 170s and 180s, which is higher than it's supposed to be for burning fat rather than carbs.  So what to do?  Keep the HR down in the 150s and go really, really slow?  or run at a comfortable pace with a higher heart rate. 

3 comments:

Beijing Laurie said...

Hmm, will increased stamina help your heart rate decrease in the long run? Seems like a bummer to go slower, but you need to be careful of high HR too. Maybe you should ask your doctor for advice (or a sports doctor).

Anonymous said...

let your heart rate guide you. and i do think you might take a stress test.

Anonymous said...

As is true for all things in life...let your heart guide you. Whether that be the figurative or the literal is for you to decide.

BUT, I do for certain know this, and pardon me for my greed, but **I need a healthy running partner**. So, I'd consult with a doc.